SEN Provision

Millfields Primary School

Our School SEND Offer

September 2015

At Millfields we care greatly for every child in our care. It is our aim to enable a child with special educational need or disability (SEND) to:

  • have a positive self-image and to be confident in tackling new tasks
  • make good progress
  • experience success and receive praise and recognition
  • have access to a broad and balanced curriculum
  • have access to the school’s extra-curricular activities


At Millfields we recognise the vital contribution and effort that parents and carers, teachers, other professionals and, of course, the children make, so that good learning and progress can happen.


Our school SENCO is Mrs Kathryn Russell


The Children and Families Bill 2013

The Children and Families Bill takes forward the Coalition Government’s commitments to improve services for vulnerable children and support strong families. It underpins wider reforms to ensure that all children and young people can succeed, no matter what their background. The Bill will reform the systems for adoption, looked after children, family justice and special educational needs. It will encourage growth in the childcare sector, introduce a new system of shared parental leave and ensure children in England have a strong advocate for their rights


The Government is transforming the system for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN), including those who are disabled, so that services consistently support the best outcomes for them. The Bill will extend the SEN system from birth to 25, giving children, young people and their parent’s greater control and choice in decisions and ensuring needs are properly met. It takes forward the reform programme set out in Support and aspiration: A new approach to special educational needs and disability: Progress and next steps by:

  • replacing statements and learning difficulty assessments with a new Birth- to-25 Education, Health and Care Plan, extending rights and protections to young people in further education and training and offering families personal budgets so that they have more control over the support they need;
  • improving cooperation between all the services that support children and their families and particularly requiring local authorities and health authorities to work together;
  • requiring local authorities to involve children, young people and parents in reviewing and developing provision for those with special educational needs and to publish a ‘local offer’ of support.


What is The Local Offer?

The Local Offer was first introduced in the Green Paper (March 2011) as a way to enable parents, children and young people with SEND to see more clearly what services are available in their area and how to access them.


It was seen as a way forward for directly involving children and young people with SEND in developing their own personalised ‘Education and Healthcare Plans’.

The local offer will cover:

  • Special educational provision
  • Health provision
  • Social Care provision
  • Other Educational provision
  • Training provision
  • Arrangements for travel to nurseries, schools and colleges


The offer will cover provision from birth to 25 years in the above areas. Plans for each individual will be made with the children, parents/carers and relevant specialists in the above services.


By September 2014 all local authorities and schools will be required to publish their local offers explaining what care and provision they can offer to young people.


In line with the Essex Local Offer we aim to make it clear how we as a school will support children and parents of children who have an additional need.

To find out more about the Essex Local Offer go to:


Or Telephone: 01279 404502.


Millfields Primary School Offer

Millfields Primary works closely with other schools in the local area, including the local mainstream secondary school – The Colne Community College and all its feeder primary schools. Market Fields, the local school for supporting children with SEND also works closely within our cluster.


In consultation with these schools and with parent/carers and other agencies, we have devised 16 questions to help explain how we will provide education and support to families where children have SEND and other additional needs.

This is to enable parents/carers to make decisions to best support their child’s learning and growing independence.

We work especially closely with Arlesford Primary School, with whom we share a Head Teacher – Janet Meacock. The SENCOs of the two schools meet regularly to discuss new ideas and arrangements.


  1. Who manages SEND children at Millfields and how do they account for all SEND?


The Current SENCO at Millfields Primary is Kathryn Russell. She is an experienced SENCO who keeps her knowledge and working practice up to date by reading journals and papers and attending training, conferences and local cluster meetings on a regular basis.


Mrs Russell has a lot of both personal and professional experience of children and young people with SEN. She trained to be a SENCO pre-accreditation (2005) on a five day SENCO course. Mrs Russell is part of the school’s Senior Leadership Team and she gives feedback to the senior leaders and Governors regularly.


At Millfields we have regular staff meetings and regular LSA meeting providing ‘in house’ training sessions to try to keep every member up to date with current practice and ideas in SEND.


Different members of staff have also received training related to different special needs. These courses have included:

  • Narrative Therapy
  • Phonics sessions
  • ELKLAN speech
  • Numicon
  • NVQ Working with children
  • Include Me In - Autism

                          - Speech and Language

                           - Physical and Neurological

  • Play Therapy
  • First Aid
  • Team Teach - Positive Handling
  • Makaton
  • Effective Marking and Feedback



There is a high level of aspiration for all children at Millfields; all staff are updated and informed of new changes and regularly seek advice support and training to keep up high level teaching for all.


Progress of all children is monitored closely through regular formal and informal assessment.


‘Making Good Progress’ for specific groups of children (those on Pupil Premium or on the SEN register) is tracked termly using Target Tracker. The SENCO has individual progress sheets for each child on the SEN register where progress is monitored. Regular discussions between the SENCO and relevant class teachers and LSAs also take place.


The school also references RAISEonline, the Essex LA one page summary and reports from Specialist Teachers and other consultants.


  1. What do I do if my child has a Special Educational need or I think they might have?


If a parent has any concerns regarding their child’s education or progress, they should, in the first instance, contact the class teacher.


The school has an ‘Open Door’ policy which means parents can come in from 8:40-8:50 a.m. for a brief chat.  The parent/carer can ask the teacher for a longer appointment when they may be available if needed.


The class teacher works closely with the SENCO; progress of all children where there may be concerns is regularly discussed and monitored. If the parent/carer or class teacher feels it would be useful, the SENCO will also attend a meeting or can be referred to at any time.


As part of our ‘Open Door Policy’, the SENCO tries to be available for chats without notice. Calls will be returned and meetings arranged quickly when this is not possible.


  1. How does Millfields know when a child needs extra help?


Children’s progress for learning, behaviour and independence is closely monitored through formative and summative assessment.


If a class teacher feels a child is making limited progress, parents will be informed and strategies put in place to enable opportunities for catching up.

For the most part, high quality teaching with good differentiation is all that is necessary for a child to get ‘back on track’.


When this does not make the required impact, other strategies, such as small group or 1:1 interventions may be considered for a short term where assessment of impact will be measured.


We may also know when a child needs help when concerns are raised by parents/carers or the child.


Extra help may also be required when we notice a change in any aspects of the child’s behaviour.


  1. How will I know what type of help my child needs and how will Millfields provide it?


Our current SEN policy explains the graduated response that had been in place from 2001.

Children who may have needed a small to medium amount of extra help from adults in the class may have been put on at either School Action or School Action Plus, (depending on how much support or external outside help from Speech Therapists, Educational Psychologists etc. was also needed).


In September 2014 these were replaced with one single category known as ‘Additional SEN Support’.


The child will be now be given a One Plan or Record of Support written by the class teacher and LSA with support from the SENCO, with specific targets to focus and measure the impact of support given to a child in order to speed up their progress. Targets are agreed with the parents and, where appropriate, with the child.


Additional support, if needed will be recorded on a One Plan/Record of Support and can be delivered by the class teacher and/or the LSA.


The key focus will be on high quality, well differentiated teaching with some interventions where necessary.


Some children have needs which are ‘complex’ or ‘severe’. In the past these children would have gone through the ‘Statutory Assessment process’ in order to get a ‘Statement of Special Educational Needs’, which would be a legally binding document with long-term learning objectives and funded hours in order to support the child’s needs properly.


From September 2014, all children and young people from age 0-25, who have significant special educational needs will undergo an Education Health and Care (EHC) Assessment (unless their parents, carers or the young person opt out of the new system). This will lead to an EHC Plan instead of a Statement of SEN. Until September 2014 parents/carers and young people in Essex would still be assessed for a Statement of SEN.


For children and young people who already have a Statement of SEN, the transfer of Statements into EHC Plans will be a gradual process.


The class teacher would discuss any concerns with the parent/carer and explain what sort of support at school and at home would be appropriate. The teacher would also discuss and feed back any concerns to the SENCO, who would also monitor progress.


At times, children may be referred (with parent’s consent)to outside agencies, such as an Educational Psychologist, School Doctor, Speech therapist or the Social, Emotional and Behaviour Difficulties team. These agencies can offer assessments, possible diagnosis of a condition and specialist advice on interventions and support.


Current Interventions include;

  • Early morning support groups for Maths and Literacy
  • Phonics Booster session
  • Hand – writing/fine motor support
  • Writing intervention – class teacher led to a small group
  • Power of 2/ Plus1
  • Numicon activities
  • Toe by Toe
  • Catch Up Literacy
  • ELKLAN Speech Therapy
  • Narrative Therapy
  • Social Skills groups and 1:1
  • 1:1 planning for children with ASD


Interventions in each class are provision mapped and costed by the SENCO and School Business Manager.


Interventions can vary in size and length; some are short 1:1 sessions which last about one term. Others may go on longer as a way of supporting children who may struggle on a daily basis to keep up with their peers. These are longer lasting small groups to build on self-esteem, friendship and independence as well as focussing on academic levels.


All interventions are regularly reviewed and children’s progress tracked. The parents/carers are invited to a termly IEP review to discuss the child’s progress, targets and any other needs.


All parents are encouraged to contribute and be involved to their child’s education through discussions at formal and informal meetings, at IEP reviews and when they need support and advice.


  1. What happens if/when my child is given a diagnosis of a condition?


If your child is given a diagnosis for a learning condition or disability, it is our job to listen carefully and support you. We would take advice and guidance from the relevant professionals and incorporate all this into an IEP (Individual Education Programme) with measurable and achievable targets. If needed, we would make an application for an Education and Healthcare Plan (EHP).


  1. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?


The school’s SEN budget is allocated each financial year (April). The money is used to fund additional support (deployment of staff) and resources dependant on each individual child’s needs.



Schools are expected to fund the first £6000 of additional support for a child considered to have ‘additional needs’. This is done using the strategies explained in Section 3.


Additional support may be provided when the school or parent/carer is concerned about the level of a child’s progress academically, physically, socially or emotionally.


The amount/level for support needed for a child is discussed with the class teacher, parent and SENCO. The SENCO has a detailed criterion to match the child’s levels to the amount of support required. An Educational Psychologist may be involved where extra advice is needed.


Resource funding will also include specialist equipment needed to support a child.


  1. How do I know if my child is making progress?


When children are considered to need ‘Additional Support’, parents will be invited into termly meetings, where progress can be discussed in detail.


Parents/carers are also welcome to attend the parents evenings held during the autumn and spring Terms. An annual progress report is sent out to all children in the summer term.


We have an ‘Open Door’ policy, so that parents/carers can drop in at the beginning of the school day to have a ‘quick chat’ or to make an appointment either with the class teacher or the SENCO to talk about any concerns. All members of staff at Millfields will try to make an appointment with a parent/carer as quickly as possible.


Parents/carers can also make appointments to speak to members of staff by making appointments through the school office.


  1. How will the curriculum match my child’s needs?


Our school focuses on ‘High Quality Teaching’, which means teachers plan and provide well-differentiated teaching and learning within the classroom, where all children can access the learning and make good progress.


We use a ‘themed approach’ to learning with whole school themes to inspire and motivate the children. Key stages (from both Millfields and Arlesford School) plan together to enable quality planning, teaching and support. All children are planned for so that they can be included to access all work at the level they are working at.


One to one and small group support is provided for children to enable the children achieve and make progress at an appropriate level.


When a child has been identified as needing a higher level of support, they will be given an (One Plan – see section 3).


If needed, Specialist Equipment may also be given to the pupil: writing slopes, seat cushions to aid concentration and posture, visual aids, pen/pencil grips, scissors, stress balls etc.


  1. How will the school help me to support my child’s learning?


The class teacher will know your child well. They will be able to suggest simple activities to support your child.


The SENCO, Kath Russell would meet you to discuss further strategies or even seek outside agency advice if considered appropriate, such as from an Educational Psychologist, Speech Therapist, Family Support Advisor or a Specialist Teacher (a teacher trained to specialise in a specific difficulty such as Autism, Dyslexia, Speech and Language, Physical and Neurological Impairment, Social, Emotional and Mental Health).


We will always try to listen and provide as much support as possible.


  1. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?


Millfields Primary has a well trained staff who can identify and support children with a variety of emotional difficulties.


Through the ‘open door’ policy parents are able to come and speak to teachers before and after school for a quick chat or ask to make a longer appointment.


The SENCO is usually available on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings for a coffee and a quick chat. An appointment can be made if this is not possible.


We have fortnightly drop in coffee sessions on Wednesday mornings for additional advice and/or a friendly ear.


We have a weekly afternoon slot with a well- trained LSA who works with children on a 1:1 or small group basis on social skills, self-esteem and emotional issues.


The SENCO and other staff are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns.


We have ELKLAN sessions in KS1 and 2 with a trained LSA to support language and speech skills.


Members of staff have had training in bereavement support to help children going through a loss.


A large number of staff have had training in how to safely and responsibly manage a child who is becoming physically violent, in a way that is positive, supportive and not demeaning to the child.


We are able to contact a number of outside agencies to support children with counselling (RELATE) and other support, such as ‘Play Therapy’ when needed.


  1. What if my child has medical needs?


If a child has medical needs the school office should be informed in the first instance.


Medical forms will be formed in allowing medicine, such as insulin to be administered on site by a trained member of staff. All relevant staff will be informed and trained to administer specialist medication in an emergency. We have a separate Medical Policy that can be requested.

In some cases, parents will inform the SENCO of changes to their child’s medicines, e.g. an increase of dosage of medicine for treating ADHD.

The SENCO will make a note on the child’s records and inform the relevant staff.


Allergies and conditions are in a central register and the relevant staff are informed.


All staff have received Epipen training by the school nurse.


All staff have basic first aid training; some staff have specialist paediatric first aid training.


  1. How will my child be included in school trips and other outside activities?


Trips are always planned with all children’s accessibility considered.


Risk assessments are carried out and procedures put in place to enable all children to participate.


In some cases however, it may be that such an intensive level of 1:1 support is deemed necessary for the safety of a child and others, that a parent/carer may be asked to accompany their child on the activity or trip.



  1. How accessible is the school environment?


We are happy to discuss individual access requirements with all parents.


The whole school is built on one level with no steps.


We have a toilet adapted for disabled users.


We have wide doors between all classrooms and into the school hall.


  1. What Specialist services are available or can be accessed via the school?


The below list includes some of the agencies regularly contacted for support by the school or through requests from parents:

  • Educational Psychologist – we have one allocated to our school with 2 set days per school year. This means we can realistically provide assessment and advice for 2-3 pupils per school year. We can seek support/advice through telephone conversations. There is also a Parent Help line to speak to a qualified Educational Psychologist through The Educational Psychology Service on 01245 433293. This service helps parents discuss concerns about their child’s education or development in a discreet and confidential manner. The service is available for children up to the age of 19 years.
  • School doctor – referrals can be made for a parent to discuss concerns and difficulties which may need further investigation. The school doctor can then make an on-going referral to other services.
  • School nurse
  • Specialist Teacher Team
  • CAMHS – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service
  • Speech Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Family Support Advisor (who can then refer onto other agencies)
  • Child protection advisors
  • Social services
  • Charities to support specific needs, e.g. Autism Anglia
  • Essex Parent Partnership – explain how schools and early year’s settings can support children and young people with special educational needs and by listening to your concerns and explaining what options are available.
  • Essex Young Carers


  1. What support does the school give to support transition to/from a new/past school or nursery?


There are a number of strategies in place to support transition.

These include (for pupils joining us):

  • Discussions between the previous and school/nursery and us prior to the pupil joining.
  • The class teacher and SENCO to visit the child in a familiar, comfortable setting, at home or at old school or nursery.
  • Visits to for the child to our school; meeting new teachers and friends.
  • The SENCO and class teacher will meet with parents and other specialists to ensure a smooth start.

For pupils going to Secondary School (or leaving us before Year 6:

  • Detailed conversations between the class teacher, Millfields SENCO and the new school SENCO.
  • All paperwork passed on.
  • An opportunity for parents to meet the new SENCO within our school (familiar environment), and, if appropriate, the child.
  • Extra visits to the school for the child and parents.


  1. If I have further concerns or complaints, who can I go to?


For further advice or any complaints or concerns parents can choose to speak to:

  • The Head teacher – Mrs Janet Meacock
  • Chair of Governors and SEN link Governor – Mr Nick White
  • Essex Parent Partnership -If you're a parent or carer to a child or young person with special educational needs / disabilities, the Essex Parent Partnership Service can help. They offer information and support over the telephone or in person.

    To make a referral call 01245 436036 or email